Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Kobe or Not Kobe

Kobe or Not Kobe
Episode 24 of Left Field
Pubished July 1, 2010 in the Northfield Entertainment Guide

Simply Fodder For Your Next Cocktail Party
by Sherri Faye (c) 2010
After my last column about grass-fed beef, my mind
segued to “Kobe Beef”. A year or so ago I noticed signs
popping up on restaurant table tops and grocery store
windows proudly announcing “We have Kobe Beef!”. I
was thinking (in the voice of Anchorman, Ron Burgundy)
“This must be kind of a big deal... Maybe Kobe Bryant
has a new gimmick or the meat sellers of America have a
real problem with that guy.” But, I digress. Realizing
quickly that was not likely the case, I did what every
modern woman does and I googled it. (Note: I believe a
petition should be submitted to the Vatican to canonize
Google as “St. Google, the Patron Saint of Information”).
I did my homework about this Kobe Beef. The Japanese
really have it down. They have outdone themselves with a
zen approach to pre-preparing tasty burgers. Applying the
tenets of Buddhism in my life, this makes me more
comfortable about possibly consuming this Tajima treat.
Renowned for it’s tenderness, flavor, and marbled texture,
Kobe Beef is virtually the Nirvana of steaks. Cattle are
pampered like guests at a 5 star spa in Dubai replete with
massages, beer mash and copious amounts of sake.
Nothing but the best, they are treated like royalty until it’s
time to become one with the cleaver. These cows must
think they have found bovinian bliss (obviously they
haven’t been to Northfield - that is, until they arrive as
filet mignon). If I come back as a cow, I want to be one of
those kuroge Wagyu and live like a bovinae princess,
blissfully unaware of the nature of my impending demise.
I expect a bon-bon is served after each days heavenly
massage. Mmmm, bon-bons are great. Support your local

No comments: