Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cow Pie


Cow Pie
Episode 18 of Left Field
Published Jan. 1, 2010 in the Northfield Entertainment Guide

Simply Fodder for Your Next Cocktail Party
By Sherri Faye ©2009





Epicurean delights indeed. Having raised and cooked for 6 kids, 2 ex-husbands and a few former boyfriends (no, not simultaneously) and their children, and innumerable guests, I’ve logged in countless stovetop hours and produced a gazillion meals. I can cook, bake, or create most anything for just about any size crowd. A flair for creativity and inventiveness enables me to prepare a decent meal out of next to nothing, if need be.
I picked up most of my chefly skills by hanging around my grandma Geraldine’s farm kitchen as a child. Wishing to make a dessert and lacking the usual ingredients, I once watched my resourceful grandma “throw together” a tasty, unique oven baked creation she called "peanut butter pie".
My personal best-in-show: The 1988 salmon soufflĂ© for husband no. 2. It’s the first and last soufflĂ© I have ever made. Why? Because it was p.e.r.f.e.c.t.  perfect. I choose to ‘let it be’.
My “Don’t Ever Make that Again”: Well now, that’s a toss between  
1. The Thanksgiving Day Massacre (a.k.a. the ‘oyster stuffing incident’) of 1992 (we lived in Virginia Beach, and 'When in Rome…') and  
2. The ‘orange meringue pie experiment’ made with Tang (circa 1973). My little brother was the guinea pig for that epicurean experiment gone awry. The poor kid. Hey, I was 14 years old and Tang was the ‘food for the astronauts’! What’s your excuse?
My next mission: Operation Tastebud 2010; kitchen-test ‘cow pie’.


(c) 2009 Sherri Faye  All Rights Reserved.
Buy cool cow crap! Cow gifts for cow fans!



No comments: